Wednesday 14 November 2007

Work news

Regarding work, I just found out that my colleague Etienne, who has been unhappy in the office more than I, has received a job offer from the same company I did. He will take it of course and we will work there together next year.

He was offered a contract position which I learned recently means 2 things:
- He will earn by the hour making it a huge amount of money.
- Everyone would rather be on contract than a permanent position.

I was offered a contract position at the beginning but hesitated because I am a foreigner and would feel safer with a work permit and a permanent position. They offered me 120,000£ p.a. which is a LOT.

That alone would have made me take it but the little mexican in me said:
"Contract positions are the first to go redundant".
"When they realise you are not good enough, they will give you the sack".
"You don't deserve that much money".

My first job in Mexico was a month by month contract position called "de honorarios". It was not continuous and at the end of the year we all were nervous for our luck the following year. Once I worked for 3 weeks just to be told my project didn't come through so I wouldn't be paid for that time and would be called when needed again (3 weeks later).
That experience was terrifying enough as to always prefer being staff.

I know things are different here in the UK but my conscience still feels uneasy in cases like these.

All in all I will be happy Etienne will start in the new company with me. He is French so all these work permit problems don't affect him.

I have just received a proposition to go to Perth Australia for a month to do a FA project. I had to decline of course since I need my passport and I will go to Mexico soon. If only it had happened a month ago..

No comments: