Tuesday 13 November 2007

Reality crap

I love TV. I really enjoy watching telly. When I arrived in this country I was told I had to pay a TV licence of £135.50 a year (3,100 MXN give or take). What a country that charges for owning a TV. Programming must be really great.
Well, sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. As I can see almost anything, I get entertained by it.
There are a number of american shows I loved in Mexico and can see here as well.
But the latest thing is the reality show which is exploited to the 'n' power. Some are american and some are british origin but they are quite funny and might actually work in Mexico.

Secret Millionaire. In this show, a millionaire spends a week in a poor part of the country trying to relate to people in need and in the end, he/she decides to donate some money to people who might need more help.
The concept is novel at least for me and I cry at the end of every episode.
I don't know if it would work in Mexico since there are not many millionaires and I doubt any of them will accept to spend even a few hours in the poorest areas in the country.

SuperNanny. What is there not to love? Children here don't seem to be well behaved and Nanny Jo Frost visits a different family every week with the naughtiest children and tries to make them behave. I have seen children hitting parents and siblings, swearing, kicking, breaking stuff, making tantrums and not being punished. They say this show is the best contraceptive. Children in Mexico in my time would never behave like that.

The Restaurant. Oooh I loved this one. 8 couples had a dream of owning a restaurant and enter this contest to become a partner to one famous restaurateur. Who hasn't dreamt of having their own restaurant? It shows how difficult is to attract customers, keep quality and put a happy face. It's over but I really enjoyed it.

Property ladder. Sarah Beeney is a genious. This show takes advantage of the boom in the real estate market and increase in prices so many people have taken property development as a career. Esentially, they buy a run down flat or house and make renovations to increase their selling price. It is better than it sounds since so many people make mistakes and want to have their own way.

Beauty and the geek. This is lame lame and apparently american. A bunch of socially impaired geeks is paired with a similar bunch of dumb blondes (in spirit) and go through many tests to overcome their flaws. It is stereotypical and stupid but it's the only thing on Monday night. I could always turn the TV off.. I know..

No comments: