Tuesday 13 November 2007

New job

I have been idle in the office lately. I am an engineer and work in a consultancy firm.
I haven't had a decent project in months and most of the time I spend it on the internet.
It was relaxing at the beginning but I have reached a point when I am completely bored and feel my career is going nowhere.
One day I uploaded my CV to a website called oilcareers and started receiving phone calls from companies and agents. One of them arranged an interview with the best consultancy firm here in Aberdeen. I didn't do as great as I would have liked but they made me a job offer!
I accepted of course and will start working next year. I have to wait for my work permit and giving notice in my current job.
My family back in Mexico is a little worried. In Mexico, if you are lucky enough to have a permanent position in a stable company, you would never even think of changing your job.
I still find it amazing that here you can change jobs so easily. That you can look for better conditions, better salary, better career development, and moving to a new job is not so frowned upon.
People still wonder why I left my stable job in Mexico. Life here is more challenging but more rewarding.
I am thrilled but also nervous.. what if I am not really that good? What if they realise it has been a mistake?

No comments: