Monday 19 November 2007

Sneeze

I think I caught a cold when I was in Stoke. Suresh had one and the weather was really bad. Worse than in Aberdeen if I may say.
I have to take extra care because my colds can develop to asthma and I definitely don't want that to happen.
I have been sneezing a lot. That reminds me of a difference in attitude while sneezing between Mexico and the UK.
In Mexico, if you sneeze, people around you will always say: "Salud" meaning "Bless you", even strangers feel compelled to wish you "Salud". You of course, being well brought up have to say "Thank you" as soon as you can, and the person next to you will say "You're welcome".
Isn't it nice?
But in the UK if you sneeze, people around you expect you to say "Excuse me" or "Pardon me" like it's your fault you are sneezing and troubling them. And no one give a damn about your health status.
The first times I sneezed in public I felt really bad that no one around even tried to say "Bless you". Now I am relieved I don't have to say it to strangers in buses. But I will never say "Excuse me". I still believe it's not my fault ot something I do in purpose.

No comments: