Wednesday 14 November 2007

Stress

My cousin in Mexico City just left the hospital. She had been there for 6 days due to stress.
It sounds like an invented disease for the rich but it is real.
She started feeling dizzy at all times, not able to even turn her head.
The day she went to hospital, she had been throwing up non stop.
Her blood pressure was way too low and dehydrated.
She had to get suero, valium and lots of rest to heal her.
Now she is at home feeling better, although a little worried about her job which started this whole thing.

I understand her very well. I was living in Mexico City in 2006 and a few weeks before I took the plane to my new job in Aberdeen, I fell ill.
I had an unbearable headache that couldn't be improved by anything.
One day I was getting ready to go to work and my head started pounding. I told myself I would lay down for a while before work but that was the last thing I remember.
I got up 4 hours later having unvoluntarily relieved my sphincters on my beautiful white couch.
I tried getting up but my legs were wobbly and fell on the floor where I passed out again for 3 more hours.
I regained consciousness and could finally reached the phone. My coworkers came home extremely worried about my dissappearance and took me to the doctor.
The doctor thought I was on drugs, but after assessing me, he said I had stress and depression.

How can that be? I feel well. Yes I miss the love of my life whom I haven't seen in 7 months. Yes I have to get rid of all the furniture I am still paying. Yes I am moving and starting my life in another country.

Well, I got better by getting my mom to visit, helped with packing, spending a nice last week in my hometown Villahermosa and finally meeting my dear Suresh in the UK. Also aided by antidepressants and blood pressure reducers.

So I know first hand stress is real and can happen without you even notice as well as depression.

Please be aware of symptoms like headaches, dizziness and feeling of not being able to finish things.

No comments: