Tuesday 13 November 2007

Trip to Mex

Next month, on the 18th to be precise, Suresh and I are going to Mexico for Xmas holiday. It is the first time for him and we are quite excited.
I will take him first to Mexico City where I was born and had a job before coming to Aberdeen. Then we are going to Villahermosa my hometown or whatever is left of it, and we will end our trip in Cancun to relax and unwind and to ennnnjoy.
He has asked me many times how different it will be to the UK and I have problems remembering exactly what he can find interesting and/or shocking.
I will post these issues as I remember or notice!

DRINK.
It is no secret that Scotland is high in binge drinking. That it seems perfectly normal for young (and not so young) people to get really pissed to the point of not remembering and getting sick on the streets which I find the most disgusting sight.
To UK's favour I can say that if a person knows they will drink, they will never attempt to drive at the same time.
In Mexico, as I remember, people do drink but getting really drunk is stupid and it shows you don't know how to drink. Girls who drink will never be left alone by male or female friends. Everyone will make sure everyone arrives home safe, even if that means to drive under the effect which for many it means they can drive better (insanely stupid).
Here in Aberdeen, people in my office are too quiet. We hardly ever speak more than 2 words on a single day, but when we go out to have a pint, they become your best friends. Of course, the next Monday they go back to not talking and pretend the bonding never happened. So confusing!

I am looking forward to Suresh knowing how I grew up and maybe understand me a little better.

1 comment:

Fned said...

Hi Anilú,

I'm also a mexican "stuck" in Europe (for now at least), in France for that matter, due to that pesty little thing called love. ;) André and I have been together for almost 6 years (almost 3 married) so believe me when I tell you I know how it feels to live far from home with the constant guilt of having "abandoned" the Familia, the Amigos and the Madre Patria but all the time thinking: My hubby makes it worth it every single day.

In any case, I remember the first time André came to Mexico (I'm from Puebla btw)... I was MEGA stressed because we'd been dating for 3 years, engaged already and my parents had never even met him! Plus, I might add, my family is pretty weird! :)

In any case, all I can tell you is that André fell deeply, passionatly, obsessively in love with our country, the people, the food, etc.

I kept telling him there is that little something that can not be explained and that makes us "mexicanos" special (I know, ego? hello?) but once he got there he got it.

Good luck on your trip and great blog!

Fned.