Wednesday 21 November 2007

Tin cut

I received a call yesterday from the agency that manages the flat I am renting. They said that they needed to come to the flat and make a check on it. I felt a little invaded and then remembered it was stipulated in the contract just because the landlord lives in Australia and he can't come and check the state of his flat.
I think they only want to check if everything still works or if I have been smoking or denting the floors and walls but I panicked.
Not that I have done major damage in the flat, it's just that the kitchen is not as tidy as maybe the owner would want.
So this morning I took out the rubbish I had been collecting. I forgot I had used a can this week and just placed it uncarefully at the top of the bag. When I tried to place the bag in the big communal container, I cut myself with the famous can.
I just felt a pinch but as I kept walking under the heavy rain, I saw a stream of blood running down my hand. It was quite scary.
The cut was in the left hand palm and it's v-shaped and small but deep.
I decided to keep walking (it was already past 9 which is my entrance time) and I stopped at one of the convenience stores called McColls which is nothing like the thousands of Oxxos in Mexico.
I bought a whole pack of plasters. The clerk was asian (I guess chinese) and didn't speak much English, but when she saw my hand bleeding, she offered some tissue (who knows the procedence) and wished me to get better.
When I arrived in the office, and cleaned it properly, I called my bf (aka boyfriend) and told him what happened.
He scared me. He said I should contact my GP and ask for a tetanus shot. To be honest I didn't even think of it. In Mexico it would have jumped to my mind immediately but here I swear it didn't come to my mind.
Anyway, I called and told me since I don't remember when was my last shot and I was living in a foreign country (where they didn't have records nor trust them) I should get the shot.
Tomorrow I had an appointment with my GP anyway to get a prescription of asthma inhalers and contraceptive. I also had my hopes on getting a flu shot* but apparently I will leave with more than that.
In the meantime, my left hand hurts and suddenly the whole arm hurts and feels numb.. hope everything is ok.


* Flu shot is not compulsory. It's authorised only to certain high risk groups wich are elderly and asthmatic among others.

1 comment:

Mariella said...

Hola Anilu! I stumbled upon your blog by accident and I am so glad I did. You are very brave for taking that leap to live on your own in a foreign country and my admiration for you has grown. Please continue to write, you have me completely hooked on your adventure. We also have so much in common which I'm still amazed about!