Tuesday 13 November 2007

Indian approval

I have an indian boyfriend. I have never loved anyone the way I love him. I feel I can be myself around him and trust him blindly. I tell him everything and decide things together. He is a great listener as well and shares everything with me. He lives in Stoke-on-Trent but we meet regularly and phone each other everyday for hours. We have a nice happy life together in a neutral country where we both are foreigners.
But.. and here is the but, he is indian. This means that he has a heavy baggage regarding his family.
I never knew how hard it was for him when we started going out together. Indians are used to having arranged marriages and if not arranged, they seek their parents approval.
Since I am foreigner, raised as a catholic (but not quite practicing), non vegetarian and older than him, I could not really be called a catch (for them).
To know that he is enjoying his life lying to his parents and without their approval was killing Suresh*.
But something happened last week. After finishing some work in Sakhalin Russia, he decided to stop by his hometown in India for the wedding of a friend. Then I don't know how, he gathered the courage and told his mom he was in love with me. Apparently they agreed and want me to visit next year and marry as soon as possible.
My boyfriend is ecstatic. I am happy as well, but this all has been too sudden. He says we should marry next summer which feels too soon. And the scariest part is he plans his parents move in with us eventually.
I know of this tradition of the eldest son to take care of the parents till death, but I still have to make peace with that idea which will not happen tomorrow of course, but I have seen enough Everybody Loves Raymond to know what I can expect.
Suresh feels I am not as excited as he is with the news. I am very happy indeed, but we do have a life here and our plans should follow accordingly. I am a bit scared to be honest.
I am meeting him this weekend in his city and we will be able to talk.

*Not his real name but let's call him Suresh as the character in Heroes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

learn more about indian culture and language

maybe they will accept

Anonymous said...

Well said.