Friday 16 November 2007

English class

I have been learning English since I remember.
English is everywhere. In science, computers, music, TV. If you know English you have an advantage above others.
In Mexico, unlike some people might believe, English is not taught as thoroughly as in other parts of the world and a big part of the population only remember "pollito- chicken, gallina-hen, lapiz-pencil y pluma-pen".
I was lucky enough that at a very young age (3 years old), my parents had the vision of sending me to a bilingual school. When things went rough and we had to move to another city (my dear Villahermosa), I still had the chance to go to a schoool that taught English.
I always ended up in the advanced levels and I felt quite confident in my English knowledge. So much that when I finished University, my first job was as an English teacher in an EFL school.
All in all I felt I had it all sorted.

But oh my God. When I came the first time to the UK to my cousin's wedding (not the stressed one but her sister), I realised my English was not great but I felt I could cope with it.
I still remember the first time I went through Immigration in Heathrow T4. The officer had a turbant and a beard (I know now he must have been Sikh) and was very firm and serious. Very scary sight and when he asked what I intended to do in the UK I froze since I couldn't understand a word until he repeated it slowly.

The total disillusion came when I studied in Manchester. All my class mates were foreigners but most of them had studied their degree in English. In Thailand, Malaysia, India, Nigeria, they all were fluent not only in the colloquial everyday English, but also in the technical found-in-books language. Unlike me who had studied the degree 5 years previously and of course in Spanish!

I struggled a lot. I noticed mexican students came up with the same mistakes and even a slight american accent they dislike here.
I couldn't understand people in the street, clerks in shops, staff in the Uni, bus drivers, etc. It's not that I was completely lost, but had to pay extra effort in listening and guessing what they said. My bf finds it funny when we see a movie and they say a joke, then I laugh and when he asks me what they said, I say I don't know. He tells me: "how can you laugh then". Just because in my everyday life here I am used to not catching 100% of what people say and fill in the blanks according to the context.

The greatest test of all has been to have a relationship in English. My English has improved greatly thanks to Suresh in vocabulary, expressions, fluency, pronunciation and to think in English.
This is what teachers always say:
When you see :)
Your mind should go to "smile"
Instead to "sonrisa" and a mental translation to end up with "smile"
Or something like that.

In the end, I know I need to improve my English. My accent is still noticeable and sometimes I can't find the right words to say. That's why I am taking English classes every Thursday in the University of Aberdeen with the plan on taking the CAE from the UCLES.

Many people has told me they don't see a point on me taking these classes but I love them. I know most of the grammar (since I used to teach it) but to be taught by a native speaker is priceless and to relate to people from different nationalities brings a nice touch in my life. Besides, I really don't know everything so every class is a new discovery, a new understanding and new knowledge.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally understand! I studied Spanish since I was 7 and now we're moving to Mexico because I just want to talk like a Mexican! I am looking forward to dreaming in Spanish. I want to take some classes here, too, just to help with some advanced grammar issues and to help me lose my American accent.