Wednesday, 6 February 2008

Villahermosa at last

Overflying villahermosa at night gave a twist in my stomach and deep excitement. When we got out of the plane, I could feel the warmth and humidity characteristic (even in the air conditioned airport) that felt so familiar. I sent Suresh to pick up our bags while I stopped at customs to get my small pink bag that didn't arrive with me from Amsterdam. Luckily I got green light and I could leave immediately. For those who don't know, in Mexico, when you arrive from an international flight, you have to push a button at customs. If you get a green light, you can enter the country with no problems; if you get a red light, they open your bags and search for prohibited items. Suresh found it peculiar because in the UK no one checks your bag by hand anymore, they are X-rayed I guess and they trust you don't bring to the country any dairy or meat or live vegetables (needless to say I have brought all sorts with me).

Anyway, we got the rest of our luggage and when the doors opened I could see my family, all of them and then I knew I was home. My father had brought the van (Voyager) and my brother his own car for him and his dog Vince (note: it is a Labrador so obviously it's named after the one in LOST).

The introductions were casual and half English half Spanish. The men in my family were of course happy to see me but seemed a wee uncomfortable, well not that uncomfortable, probably just odd to see me with Suresh, who is a vital part of my life, who looks and sounds so foreign and who seems to love me so much. It was like confirming that I have grown up. Mom and sister on the other hand, had met him before when they spent summer in Aberdeen so they were more open to him.

The ride home was a chance to see the city after the tragedy and my dad kept showing me how high the water had reached in every part of the city. There were no Christmas decoration and no nativity scenes. At the important intersections there just were big signs saying: "Tabasco de pie", or Tabasco still standing, and many cars with a rear sticker saying: "Yo amo a Tabasco mas que nunca" (I love Tabasco more than ever as in NY after 9/11). That phrase would stay with us all the trip.

We reached home soon. It was late but we weren't really hungry so we proceeded to give away presents. In my family we don't really have the tradition of exchanging presents in Christmas so it was more of let's see what Anilu brought from abroad. Everyone loved their presents and Suresh had especially bought a bottle of Irish whiskey for my father which he appreciated. (Note: apparently if it's Scottish is spelled whisky and if it's Irish is whiskey, no idea how is it if it's american).

Then the sleeping arrangement. I have slept with Suresh for a long time. It seems an obvious step in a commited relationship putting the economic side apart. All in my family know it, but it is still a traditional mexican family for whom sleeping with my not-husband is a complete no-no. So instead, my brother gave away his room for Suresh to sleep there while he would stay in the living room and I would sleep at my old bedroom with my sister. My mom was the one to tell me that it was mainly for my father and the example to my younger siblings blah blah.

So we went to bed. I immediately turned on the AC in my room and in Suresh's but he programmed his for just 30 min. I had it the whole night. It's hot in Villahermosa! And I talked to my sister before closing my eyes, sleeping on my bed, just like the old times.

2 comments:

Theresa said...

If it's American,it's called bourbon.
regards,
Theresa

Anilú said...

Thanks Theresa! For the info and for stopping by.