Wednesday, 6 February 2008

Pet Food hates

Being born in certain country gives you exposure to certain kinds of foods and combinations you might like or not so your taste buds are conditioned to certain flavours. But when you move to another country, you are suddenly exposed to new flavours that for others might be just as common and you might like, dislike or not even dare to try.

Last week there was an article on the Guardian/Observer http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/food/2008/01/hate_springs_eternal.html where the writer expressed a simple dislike to an English cheese and asked readers which were their pet food hates. I read most of the comments, and found funny that some foods people find disgusting, are of my big liking such as:
- Tripe, but fried in tacos
- Cucumber. Love it with salt, lime juice and chili powder (salivating already). Talking about cucumber, is it odd that we in Mexico cut the 2 tips and rub the rest of the cucumber with them to avoid bitterness?
- Raw tomato. Which home made salad would be without these too? I can eat a whole tomato like an apple or sliced with a pinch of salt.
- Capsicum or green peper. I like it even raw. How would you make a proper alambre or tex-mex fajitas without it?
- Oysters, but only Paraiso Tabasco style "al tapezco" with lime juice and Tabasco sauce.
- Green beans. Also known as ejotes are somehow staple. Not crazy about them but I do buy them and eat them. Outside my office there was a woman selling tacos filled with scrambled eggs and green beans so there must be a market for it.
- Goat cheese. Fresh taste and creamy texture reminds me of Chiapas cheese.
- Olives, green not black. Used to hate them but found their goodness while on Atkins and love them now.
- Mushrooms. Just great! In an omelette or pasta or just grilled cheese. Love them to substitute meat for Suresh.
- Celery. If you were given a celery-carrot juice every weekend by your mom like mine, you would get to like it. I prefer it raw on salads as well as spinach.
- Raisins. I was brought up knowing candy was a one-off thing just for birthday parties so raisins were my only treat.
- Tongue. Prepared in barbacoa style is delicious.
- Coriander. Raw again, chopped along onion on tacos or any soup.

Suresh finds funny that I like:
- Potatoes just boiled and with a pinch of salt. He finds them bland and needing more spices.
- Lime juice on everything. From salad to fruit, popcorn, soup, marinating, I use it for everything.
- Valentina sauce on popcorn.
- Salsa, if available, on anything that doesn't have any chili already.

But I also have many pet food hates:
DAIRY
- Milk. Let's start saying I don't like milk since I remember. The taste makes me gag as well as cream.
- Consequently, I don't like anything with added milk such as:
Breakfast cereal with milk, I rather have it alone.
Porridge, which is oatmeal and a typical breakfast here.
- Yogurt. Dairy as well but an odd acidic taste included.
- Butter. I will have it if needed in a recipe but never spread on anything.
- Blue cheese like Stilton. What's wrong with it. It smells like a rubbish bag.
On my defense, I love other kind of cheeses, soft or hard.

- Egg Yolk. I don't like the taste or sight of uncooked yolk such as soft boiled egg, fried egg, poach egg, etc.I love scrambled eggs and very boiled egg in exchange.
- Mayo. Disgusting flavour. Therefore, don't like many sandwiches and salads you find already made in the high street.

- Marmite. It is odd looking and foul smelling. Reminds me of burnt car oil. Haven't dared to try it.
- Liver or kidney. No thanks.
- Brussel sprouts
- Turnip
- Beetroot. Can't find the goodness in any of these.
- Mushy peas. I can have peas but the mushy thing that accompanies fish and chips is disgusting.
- Coleslaw. It's the mayo in it. They love it here.
- Strong mustard. French or English. I can add the american kind to my hot dogs though.
- Tofu. Can't stand its semisolid consistency.

Mexican:
- Nopales. slimy texture, sorry, not for me.
- Atole. Milky and thick.
- Papaya. It's not mexican but too exotic here. Smells like puke.
- Buttered mash potato. My mom makes it to give it "texture". I can immediately tell if it has butter and I can't have it then. I like the KFC one though.

Can you tell me about yours?

3 comments:

Fned said...

Oh my gosh, I can SO relate to this post!

I agree on you with most of your love/hate choices (except the meat ones, I'm like Suresh... gimme mushrooms and tofu instead of tongue and tripas ;))....

"
Suresh finds funny that I like:
- Potatoes just boiled and with a pinch of salt. He finds them bland and needing more spices.
- Lime juice on everything. From salad to fruit, popcorn, soup, marinating, I use it for everything.
- Valentina sauce on popcorn.
- Salsa, if available, on anything that doesn't have any chili already.
"

Uhm...
- Potato- PotAto... who cares? The damn things are so delicious any way you cook them!
- Lime juice on everything.. HELLO? Even hubby knows better than to switch lime for vinegar in my salad dressing! ;)
- Valentina on popocorn: AMEN SISTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Salsa on everything! *long sigh*... if only you could get decent home made salsas in this freaking country! :(

Other foods I love:
- Olives: any kind, any stuffing, any where... I can eat a whole can of olives if hubby doesn't pry them from my greedy fingers, LOL
- French cheeses... how could I have lived without them before???
- Nachos (the home-made kind, not the plastic, yellow sauce covered kind they sell at the movie theaters, YUCK!)...
- Actually, anything that combines: frijoles, maíz, queso y chile!
- Anything that you can sprinkle Chile Tajin on, ESPECIALLY JICAMAS CON LIMON!!!!
- PIZZA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Things I don't like:
- Pears (one of the few fruits that will make me gag, oh, and Papaya)
- Any kind of meat and ESPECIALLY meat organs (tongue, ears, brain, eiiiiwwwwww)....
- Runny eggs... there's something so not natural of eating runny eggs...
- Coliflower... sorry, my stomach can't take it.
- Sodas... I used to be a Diet Coke maniac (thankfully one day I stopped and never had an urge to have one again), but any other soda (Pepsi, Fanta, Sprite, Jarritos...) never appealed to me...

Urgh! I'm getting hungry!
Catch later!

Fned.

Anilú said...

Haha who would say we would have food in common.
I agree on anything that combines: frijoles, maíz, queso y chile!
Cauliflower smells vile but it's not so gross tasting.
Soda.. more in Mexico and gimme any flavour.

Anilú said...

Haha who would say we would have food in common.
I agree on anything that combines: frijoles, maíz, queso y chile!
Cauliflower smells vile but it's not so gross tasting.
Soda.. more in Mexico and gimme any flavour.